Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Who knew it was the gluten.....and the soy?

By September 2010 I was finally fed up - fed up with the gastric distress I had suffered my whole life that was getting worse and worse.  I had already given up meat, alcohol, soda, coffee and (for a short while!) sugar.  Everything I excluded made a difference but nothing had completely relieved the life-impacting symptoms.  I was down to trying the only thing left, the one thing I never wanted to do - eliminate wheat from my diet.

I balked at the thought of doing without my favorite breads, cookies and baked goods not to mention breakfast cereals, sauces and the many other things made with flour.  At last, however, the discomfort won out.  I would try it.  I would go without anything containing gluten.

I got online and did some research so I could avoid hidden gluten and embarked on the experiment.  I wasn't convinced it was going to work but I was at the point where I was prepared to try anything.  I was depressed at the thought not only of doing without my favorite foods but also at the time it might take to see a difference.

Three days into my gluten free diet I was amazed.  It was like night and day.  I felt SO much better.  It was a miracle!  The improvements lasted three weeks and then.....I got sick again.  What was going on?  This time I went to an allergist and was tested for food allergies.  Yes, I was allergic to wheat but I was also allergic to soy.  Back to the internet, back to modifying my diet.  Eliminating soy turned out to be more challenging than gluten.  Soy is in almost everything.  But I rose to the challenge and figured out what to avoid.  A week later my health and wellbeing were back on track.

Now, eight months later I can't imagine going back to eating the way I used to.  Feeling well and healthy is more important to me than apple pie!  And - surprise, surprise - I don't have to do without apple pie, or cookies, or bread.  I have learned so much in such a short time; not just how to eat but how to cook gluten and soy free.

I've started this blog to share not only what I have learned but also the differences the gluten and soy free life has made to me. I would love to hear your comments and experiences too.  Let's walk this road together.......

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finding the 'culprit'! It's all trial and error most of the time. I tried gluten free for about a year. My challenge was excess weight. I felt great no matter what I ate (other than the aches and pains that come with reaching middle age), but I had a decent balance of calories in and calories out, and still no weight loss. I wish it was the gluten - LOL - There are many gluten free options on the market now. For me it was the wheat and the sugar. I've been wheat and sugar free now for about 5 months now. I do allow myself a cheat day from time to time, but I can feel it the next day.

    Here's to feeling the best we can!

    And I hope you don't confine your blog to a single topic. You have much to share Miss Gillian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my first commentator Betsy!

    I admire you for following your healthy eating path as well. You are an inspiration.

    This blog will probably "wander" a bit off the topic I am sure!!

    ReplyDelete